Wednesday 28 November 2012

Undercover Art Therapists

The Putney river with leaves, water sparkles and rowers

On Sunday I had a lovely morning walking in the sun by the Putney river (scanning for leaves to press, naturally) to have coffee with my supervisor from my past placement.  It’s great to see her and hear about art therapy related things. She has a way of bouncing ideas back so that they seem clearer and somehow more exciting. So now I am wondering if there could be more arts therapists out there or creative folk doing other things whilst looking for work, or creative arts therapists who have been re-employed as other kinds of (non art) therapists.
tea and chat
 
It is possible to use creative ways to engage with other kinds of roles so that we keep our professional identity alive. It is early days in my thinking about this but, so far, alongside my official job at the moment as a ‘secretary’ in a mental health setting I have recreated my desk as my ‘studio’, and looked at the office space as a whole from an artistic perspective. I have found its potential for installation and am thinking of how I can work with this to bring a subtle, non-intrusive art therapeutic exhibition to the space.


A computer faced robot
 In case you were wondering, although it might seem like I spend most of the day looking out of the window and pressing leaves, I am still doing my regular work. Having these projects on the go nearby helps me work better as I feel less like a computer faced robot, and more alive and happy.

 
I wondered what others do with their art/music/dance movement/drama therapist identities whilst doing ‘other’ things? As my supervisor said, there may well be a fair few out there. Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment