Thursday 22 November 2012

On surviving as a round peg in a square hole.

Whilst looking for art therapy job possibilities I currently find myself working more than I would like in an office, sat in front of a computer all day - in the pose, I realise, of a scuttling forest creature – see diagram 1, substitute office for forest background and you see what I mean.



It is ‘sensible’ job which I am sure any creative soul would agree is hard work. Blending in, being sensible, tucking in the colourful ribbons, beads and buttons that gravitate towards creative folk. After a couple of months, I felt so grey and square that one day I decided I wouldn’t make such an effort.

And it didn’t turn out so bad. I reminded myself that creativity, also known as ‘Art’ is essential for my health – it is another kind of food that I have to have on a daily basis and, because of that, I must bring it to work with me. So, I secretly decided that I would think of my work space not only as my desk, but also – my studio-at-the-moment. I brought in my favourite pictures, photo’s cards, designs and stuck them all about my workspace.

 …and no body seemed to notice. I have repeatedly found that non ‘arty’ visual orientated people so much more less observant about environments and changes to their surroundings. It makes me wonder what they see and what that world is like, as it seems so much less full of colours of light reflected on walls, shapes of cloud, beautiful leaves on the pavement, and chocolates arriving in the office.  The good thing is I feel  more creatively alive so who knows what else will arrive to be unnoticed...


P.S the red bird stamp is from noolibird.com , I love it so much. This week it has been my Bird of Inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment