Saturday 24 November 2012

On not Speed Reading Anymore AND Guerilla Art Studio's

      
 
 Not studying anymore means I am learning 'how not to speed read everything'. We actually had a class on 'How to read a book in 10 minutes' in our first week of Art Therapy training and I was inwardly shocked. Surely this isn't what books are for? Surely this isn't what learning is? Turned out it was.

So, now, I am reading again. And I was reading a book by Shaun McNiff, his 'Art Heals' one. He has a chapter on how he transformed his feelings about the boredom and monotony of lengthly academic meetings by skethching, drawing and creating from the inspiration of the tensions and dynamics in the meetings.  In the end he looked forward to  them.

Today I realised this is a little what my Guerilla Art Studio activities have been all about: changing my perceptions of where art can live so that I can engage more happily with situations that are a bit boring.  Or in university speak: questioning how an art therapist would engage with the challenges of everyday life, or in this case, how to survive an office job.

No comments:

Post a Comment